Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. NIV
The power of a James 5:16 relationship
All of us need accountability and help in our relationships. The James 5:16 relationship helps us as we continue our journey to wholeness. There usually aren’t any quick fixes, magic formulas or instant healing when we are dealing with these areas. We have to walk it out, stay in the process and allow God to use others to bring healing to us. Jesus, after his resurrection revealed in his dealing with Peter, a powerful principle of accountability and confession. Peter had denied Jesus three times before a coal fire. Now here was Jesus the one he had denied before a coal fire. By the time Jesus had finished his questions, Peter was healed and restored. With a simple “Peter do you love me” the pain of that night of betrayal was brought before Peter. By the last question “Peter do you love me” Peter broke and the pain of that night was released. I have heard this preached from the point of the two Greek works for love, but what about the fact that Peter had denied Jesus 3 times, now before Jesus he has the opportunity to confess Him 3 times. Powerful healing for the pain Peter carried since that night.
Suggestions for a proper James 5:16
Person acting as Priest
1. Hold everything that is confessed in confidence.
2. John 20:23 If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.” NIV. When someone confesses their sin they need to hear they are forgiven.
3. Listen until the person finishes then pray for the wound, and remit the sin
1. Don’t make excuses or rationalization simply confess your sin.
2. Receive from the person praying as if you were receiving from Jesus.
Accept people where they are, listen to what they have to say and pray. This is not the time for council or prayer teaching, pray and expect God to bring healing to the person you are praying for.
God bless you this week